Homelessness is a topic that everyone can learn more about. HEAR US has found some quality resources to give a better understanding of this complex issue.
Be sure to check our "Homelessness In the News" section, a synopsis of current news articles (more/constantly updated on our HEAR US Facebook page. Friend us!) about homelessness from around the country.
- On their Own is an excellent 20-min. video about homeless youth and their school rights. Filmed and produced by Laura Vazquez, media guru who has worked with HEAR US over the years, and her Northern Illinois University students for the Lee-Ogle IL McKinney-Vento program. (Free, click film name)
- Georgia Alliance to End Homelessness produced a 3 1/2 minute YouTube video about homelessness that really does the job!
- NEW! (4/13) Homeless Students, CQ Researcher, comprehensive look at homeless children/youth, particularly school-related and policy issues. (PDF, subscription, $15)
- NEW! (4/13) The American Almanac of Family Homelessness, Institute of Children, Poverty and Homelessness, a state-by-state, issue-by-issue look at family homelessness. (PDF, free)
- NEW! (4/13) Disaster Edition: Homeless Education Advocacy Manual, National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, a step-by-step guide to ensure homeless students, including those displaced by disaster, secure education. (PDF, free)
- The EFFECT OF THE RECESSION ON CHILD WELL-BEING - Another jaw-dropping report by First Focus (11/10) on the aspects of children's lives most likely harmed by the ongoing financial turmoil.
- CRITICAL MOMENT - Report (7/10) by First Focus and NAEHCY points to one effort that eases the surging crisis of homelessness for families and youth.
- MA Campaign to End Child Homelessness--HEAR US joined with this group to call a halt to devastating cuts to programs that keep children and families from becoming homeless. Here is their statement, one which would work in other states.
- HOMELESS FAMILIES--STATE-BY-STATE REPORT--To no surprise, homelessness among families and youth is much worse than some government reports. The National Center on Family Homelessness issued the most media-quoted report in memory on this issue, "America's Youngest Outcasts."
- HOMELESS CHILDREN & TEENS--NUMBERS SKYROCKETING--It's documented across the country--schools are reporting shocking increases in the number of homeless children/teens they are identifying. For a picture of what is happening across the country, check out the report just issued by NAEHCY and First Focus, "The Economic Crisis Hits Home: the Unfolding Increase in Child and Youth Homelessness."
- ADVOCATES TO OBAMA: HOMELESSNESS ADVICE--WRAP, the same respected advocacy group that put out the report Without Housing, listed below, compiled a worthwhile message to our new president. Good perspective that includes a summary of the Without Housing report.
- MORTGAGE CRISIS HITS CHILDREN--To no surprise, many families who lose their housing in these financial hard times will become homeless. First Focus, a national advocacy organization, issued this report on how this crisis hits children, "The Impact of the Mortgage Crisis on Children"
- COMPREHENSIVE REPORT! For those wanting to know more about one of the key contributing factors to homelessness over the past 25 years, this report is invaluable. "Without Housing: Decades of Federal Housing Cutbacks, Massive Homelessness and Policy Failures," gives homelessness the analysis it so deserves. This exceptional report is available free at www.wraphome.org. Kudos to those who worked on this report and the revised edition! It's up to the rest of us to utilize this advocacy tool.
Other Websites of Interest
BOOKS (non-HEAR US)
Other good books on homelessness? Email
with information about your favorite read. We'll check it out and share it!