REACH, a program of HEAR US, offers valuable information (based on the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act) to parents (or caregivers) in jails and prisons so they can advocate for their children from behind bars:
- VIEW VIDEO (free) REACH: CONNECT YOUR CHILDREN TO EDUCATION
- This fast-paced 11-minute video will guide parents and caregivers as they pursue stability in education for students in homeless situations as outlined in the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Improvements Act. (takes a few moments to download)
- Available for purchase on the My Own Four Walls DVD $40 +s/h. ORDER FORM
- VIEW /Download free (English/Spanish) REACH: CONNECT YOUR CHILDREN TO EDUCATION
- This brochure has important information about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education law to help parents and caregivers remove barriers to education for homeless students. It includes a toll-free number to connect with assistance.
- Mom in Jail, Kids Pay the Price HEAR US surveyed mothers in Cook County Jail about their children's housing and educational experiences. (PDF, free download)
- Presentations to inmates and jail staff. Contact
at HEAR US.