REACH, a program of HEAR US, offers valuable information (based on the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act) to parents (or caregivers) in jails and prisons so they can advocate for their children from behind bars:
- VIEW VIDEO (free) REACH: CONNECT YOUR CHILDREN TO EDUCATION
- This fast-paced 11-minute video will guide parents and caregivers as they pursue stability in education for students in homeless situations as outlined in the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Improvements Act. (takes a few moments to download)
- Available for purchase (DVD format), $20 +s/h. ORDER FORM
- VIEW SAMPLE BROCHURE REACH: CONNECT YOUR CHILDREN TO EDUCATION
- This brochure has important information about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education law to help parents and caregivers remove barriers to education for homeless students. It includes a toll-free number and postage-paid postcard to connect with assistance.
- This brochure is available for purchase either pre-printed or in electronic format. English/Spanish. $100 per 100 (in color, or $50 for license to print unlimited copies Eng./Span. ORDER FORM
- Mom in Jail, Kids Pay the Price HEAR US surveyed mothers in Cook County Jail about their children's housing and educational experiences. (PDF, free download)
- Presentations to inmates and jail staff. Contact
at HEAR US.